TEDxUniversityofNevada, an event put on by University of Nevada, Reno’s College of Business is upping the ante in 2017. In its fifth year, the event is moving to a new venue to accommodate growing demand … proving, once again, that Reno is a University Town whose citizens connect around big ideas worth spreading.
After making a move from the 220-seat University Theater in 2015 to a sold out 1,500-seat Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts in 2016, the next TEDxUniversityofNevada event will be held at the 2,700-seat Grand Sierra Theatre Saturday, January 21, 2017. Between 2014 and 2015, in-person attendance at the event grew by 445 percent!
Collectively, TEDxUniversityofNevada’s talks have been viewed nearly 10 million times online. Past events have featured a variety of notable Reno-area locals.
· Restaurateur Mark Estee
· Squeeze In owner Shila Morris
· Dolan Auto Group CEO Ryan Dolan
· Nevada’s Teacher of the year Deanna LeBlanc
· University of Nevada, Reno Psychology Professor Steven Hayes
· Teacher Racquel Abowd
· Taylor Wilson whose best known for producing nuclear fusion at age 12
· Logan Laplante, whose talk on Hackschooling has received more than 9.3 million views and has become one of the most famous TEDx talks of all time
· Brian Williams of Think Kindness
· Sherry McConkey of The McConkey Foundation
· Nevada Assemblywoman Lucy Flores
· Nevada Assemblywoman Jill Tolles
· Renown Health CEO Anthony Slonim
· Emergency room physician Michael Morkin, M.D.
· Community advocate Wendy Damonte
The uniting factor behind all TEDx talks is to share compelling stories that generate ideas within communities not only worth hearing, but discussing and sharing.
The 2017 event will feature another dynamic line up of local speakers including Adam Kramer, executive vice president of strategy for Switch, University of Nevada, Reno faculty members Albert Lee, Ashley Greenwald Tragash and Vanessa Vancour; Ashley Clift-Jennings; TEDx student competition winner Ashley Evdokimo, and community advocate Julia Picetti.
In addition, the event will feature 11 non-local speakers and five performers. Key speakers include former U.S. Navy Seal and business leader Jocko Willink; national correspondent for NBC News and MSNBC Maria Atencio; award-winning author and activist Samina Ali; internationally recognized models Iskra Lawrence and Ebonee Davis, and former Miss USA Tara Conner. Performers will include country music singer CAM, O.A.R. lead singer Marc Roberge, The Warning, Neon Trees’ Tyler Glenn and comedian Michael Jr.
“TEDxUniversityofNevada will be the premier speaking event in Reno in 2017, and it only happens with tremendous support from the community,” Bret Simmons, TEDxUniversityofNevada curator, said. “The outpouring of support from local businesses and organizations really fuels the success of the event each year.”